Claude M. Schrader on 13 Sep 2009 05:48:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Quicken alternative?

On 14:00 Fri 11 Sep     , JP Vossen wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I was not aware of mint.com.  It looks interesting, but I don't trust
> using "the cloud" for stuff like this (actually, I don't trust the cloud
> for much of anything).
>
> I guess I'll keep working on MoneyDance then, and see if I can get it to
> work.
>
> Thanks,
> JP

along those same lines, http://moneycenter.yodlee.com is another good
account aggregator. I use it to keep an eye on all my accounts. Its not
quite as flashy as mint and the interface isn't as polished, but its got
more features. Yodlee actually provides the underlying connectivity to
Mint, so the sites supported are generally the same. It doesnt print
checks (whats a check?), but I just send paper checks through ING's
website when I need one.

It grabs data from web interfaces, so some sites work better than others,
depending on the company. ING locks them out during business hours, so
updating transactions from them only works overnight. Most other
sites of mine seem to work fine. Admittedly, it is quite a leap of faith
to give them your logins for all your bank and credit card sites.

Yodlee has a good reputation for security. Their business is reselling
the interface to banks, so everything's free, and they often ask for
input on new features. The flip side is we are not the customers, so
getting something fixed when a company updates their site can sometimes
be slow. Overall I'm pretty happy with it for what I use it for.
Claude