Gordon Dexter on 15 Sep 2009 19:15:32 -0700

[PLUG] Ok, this is really weird. File exists... until I try to execute it

My dad just got an Eee 900 with the default Linux install on it (which I
plan on replacing with Ubuntu soon) and the first thing he wanted to do
is crosswords on it.  The NY Times has a free version of a crossword
program, and it even has a Linux version!  So over the phone I help him
download it, untar it, and try and run it, only it says it doesn't
exist.  So I figure I'm getting confused or something because it's over
the phone, so I try it and, it says it doesn't exist.  It's the
strangest thing I ever saw:

gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ ls
acrossl  LICENSE  man  Puzzles  README
gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ file acrossl
acrossl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ ./acrossl
bash: ./acrossl: No such file or directory
gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ ldd acrossl
/usr/bin/ldd: line 117: ./acrossl: No such file or directory
gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$

I google it and there are forum posts of people having the same problem
with it, and none of them have any solution or even any idea what might
cause that.  There's a file there, no question, but when I try to run it
it's as if it didn't exist!  Has anybody seen this weirdness before?

--Gordon