Walt Mankowski on 15 Sep 2009 19:47:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ok, this is really weird. File exists... until I try to execute it

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:15:24PM -0400, Gordon Dexter wrote:
> My dad just got an Eee 900 with the default Linux install on it (which I
> plan on replacing with Ubuntu soon) and the first thing he wanted to do
> is crosswords on it.  The NY Times has a free version of a crossword
> program, and it even has a Linux version!  So over the phone I help him
> download it, untar it, and try and run it, only it says it doesn't
> exist.  So I figure I'm getting confused or something because it's over
> the phone, so I try it and, it says it doesn't exist.  It's the
> strangest thing I ever saw:
>
> gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ ls
> acrossl  LICENSE  man  Puzzles  README
> gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ file acrossl
> acrossl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ ./acrossl
> bash: ./acrossl: No such file or directory
> gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$ ldd acrossl
> /usr/bin/ldd: line 117: ./acrossl: No such file or directory
> gdexter@buffy:~/Desktop/acl$
>
> I google it and there are forum posts of people having the same problem
> with it, and none of them have any solution or even any idea what might
> cause that.  There's a file there, no question, but when I try to run it
> it's as if it didn't exist!  Has anybody seen this weirdness before?

Well, I tried it and got the same error.  The executable is very old
(January 1997!) so maybe it's a library issue?  Or an old version of
ELF?

The README file has a lot of information about required libraries, and
also how to get support.  I'd probably start there.

Good luck.

Walt