Claude M. Schrader on 2 Oct 2009 11:57:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast "CDV" device & firewalls

On 14:46 Fri 02 Oct     , JP Vossen wrote:

> That makes me wonder even more how the thing works though, since that
> seems to require either 2 Comcast/public IPAs or that the CDV doesn't
> actually use IP at all.  I have been assuming that "digital voice" ==
> VoIP (like Vonage), but maybe that's a bad assumption?

it definitely is regular old voip, though never touching the public
internet. Comcast assigns cable modems a private RFC 1918 IP address, and the
routable IP gets assigned to whatever's behind it, so the CDV device still
has an IP. They actually had to move to IPv6 pretty early, because they
have so many customers they completely ran out of private IPs.