Carl Johnson on 2 Oct 2009 12:36:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast "CDV" device & firewalls

All they'll need is the MAC/serial #'s.

This message was sent from my Treo® wireless handheld device.

-----Original Message-----
From: JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org>
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 2:47  PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Comcast "CDV" device & firewalls

> Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:32:18 -0400
> From: Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com>

[...]
> one thing that i have done quite a few times (mostly those who already
> own their own modem) to make life easy (and remove a single point of
> failure) is setup TWO modems. comcast can provision the cdv as phone
> only. this way all ya' gotta' do (provided you have decent RF levels)
> is stick a two way splitter on the line feeding the cdv. then, run one
> lead to the new cdv and one to your old RCA modem.

That sounds good.  And the tech even told me he'd leave the parts to do
that, though at the time I was wondering what he was talking about.

That makes me wonder even more how the thing works though, since that
seems to require either 2 Comcast/public IPAs or that the CDV doesn't
actually use IP at all.  I have been assuming that "digital voice" ==
VoIP (like Vonage), but maybe that's a bad assumption?

 > after that, just
 > call comcast from your cell phone or something and tell 'em you want
 > the cdv to be provisioned as voice only and add your old RCA back into
 > the account for the data side.

I can talk my cousin through doing all of that, but what are they going
to want to know to re-provision the old RCA box?  Just plug it in and
power it up?  MAC address?  And will they be a PITA about it, or is that
pretty standard?  This is residential, after all.

Thanks,
JP