Art Alexion on 9 Oct 2009 15:35:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] web access email adds html code in message

On Friday 09 October 2009 18:01:56 Robert Spangler wrote:
> see no good reason to send HTML Emails.  NONE.

There are plenty of good reasons to send HTML mail when it is appropriate.
For instance, to present table data without the overhead of an even bigger
attachment.

The problem is HTML mail which is sent by default when it IS unnecessary.

I have noticed, too, that replying to email sent by Outlook is almost
unintelligible sometimes when it isn't HTML, because of the weird way that
Outlook threads are rendered in plain text.  With work-related email, I will
sometimes top post and force HTML, just to make my response contextually
intelligible.  This seems to be the case with longer quotes from multiple
authors.  When I can trim to a line or a paragraph, I use plain text and
bottom posting.

I think the key is to make your missive easily readable, not to follow some
orthodoxy, in my opinion.