Matt Mossholder on 10 Oct 2009 14:45:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] web access email adds html code in message

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 17:21 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> More interesting was the belief that email was so small, relative to other
> internet traffic, that increased bandwidth and storage demands, were not
> worth getting concerned about.
>
> Anyone here who has ever administered an email server knows how silly these
> beliefs are.  But we live in a world where these seem to be the "conventional
> wisdom" -- and though we know that conventional wisdom is, by its nature,
> usually wrong -- it is a reality we must live with.

You know, I just had a thought about this... why isn't HTML email
compressed with gzip compression, like many web browsers/servers do
today. Most text compresses very well, and HTML certainly does.

As long as there is a defined mime type for it, such that MTAs can still
do spam filtering, etc. , it should work pretty well, I would think.

--Matt