JP Vossen on 10 Oct 2009 12:25:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] web access email adds html code in message

In re: various comments that 99.9_% of mail readers can render HTML,
even if the user chooses not to (like me) and that only stone-age email
clients or ones you never heard of are a problem, that's not entirely true.

The ASCII digest of this list strips HTML.  If the message does not also
contain plain text, what you get in the digest is:

--- sample digest ---
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
--- sample digest ---

But the URLs are always 404.  Ironically, the message does show up in
plain text in the archive itself, e.g.:
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2009-08/msg00292.html

That makes it kind of hard to be helpful...

It also raises the issue of the incredible waste of bandwidth that HTML
email causes all by itself, which is then compounded by the fact that as
previously noted, 99.99_% of emails contain both HTML and plain text,
thus at *least* doubling the size of every message.

As an aside, it's interesting how the plain text and HTML parts of lots
of spam and phishing bear no resemblance to each other.  A good amount
of spam and phishing don't even contain a plain text part, which becomes
a handy way to nuke them.  Way to go Verizon for making your users look
more like spam.

And yes, I'm one of the old curmudgeons who thinks HTML email is an
abomination that should be nuked for orbit--it's the only way to be
sure.  But we have certainly beaten this topic to death.  Again...

Later,
JP