Greg Helledy on 14 Oct 2009 08:49:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Clearwire WiMAX service started in Philadelphia twoweeks ago

Drew Lehman wrote:
> Plans are listed by Home or Mobile based on the equipment you get.  The
> home unit is a larger unit that needs A/C for power.  IT has a larger
> (internal) antenna and is rated for a better signal indoors (and tends
> to get better speeds).  The mobile is the USB device.  The system can
> limit the speeds by device, so the limited plans really are limited.
> The unlimited plans with the highest speeds are not capped, and you can
> potentially get speeds of 10-12Mbs, but they cannot advertise that.
> Also, due to the E911 issue, you can only get the VoIP service on the
> home units.
> All units can be used in any region that has Clear 4G, so your not
> limited to a "home" region.
> As for pricing, the dealers often has room for rebates.  For example,
> I'm offering a rebate of one month on the pick 2 and 3 plans (1 home, 1
> mobile or 2 mobiles or 1 home, one mobile and VoIP)
> Some odd restrictions though on advertising, so you probably won't see
> many dealers use TV or radio to advertise, but you probably will get
> sick of the branded advertising starting on the 18th.

Ok, so it's a purely-artificial differentiation, enforced by MAC ID.  I
don't like when companies do that type of thing.  On a positive note, it
also means I could bring my Home modem with me and use it anywhere I can
get power.

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise
immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail
for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information
expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by GRA, Inc. unless
otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of this
message.