bergman on 14 Oct 2009 16:30:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 'logtail' Re: 'logcheck'

In the message dated: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:01:01 PDT,
The pithy ruminations from Edmond Rodriguez on
<[PLUG] 'logtail' Re: 'logcheck'> were:
=> So logcheck has a nice little program included called logtail, which is very nice and simple for
=>  tailing a log where you left off the last time you tailed it.  While logtail keeps the inode nu
=> mber of the log, it does not seem to deal with the rotation of the file.

Right. If I recall correctly, it also doesn't deal well if the file is
truncated (but the inode doesn't change).

=>
=> Logcheck deals with the rotation of a log, and get the last lines of a rotated log along with th
=> e lines of a new log file, but is more complex if all the checking it does is not needed. It als
=> o has a learning curve.
=>
=> Logtail is just one simple program file (I think).  It does not parse, but is simple.
=>
=> Am I missing something here? Is there a simple canned way to stay simple with logtail, but still
=>  deal with the rotation.  I guess I could look at the inode myself, and check to see if a new fi
=> le exists, then run logtail on the old inode with the recorded offset.  Then run logtail again o
=> n the new file.

I ran into the same thing in ~2005. I know that I wrote a work-around...it just
took me a while to find it. :)

I've attached a copy of "tailc". It's a simple perl script (which I'd probably
write differently if I was doing it over again). Enjoy.

Mark

=>
=> Just wanted to mention the program logtail, and also see if I am missing something simple here.
=>
=> Edmond
=>
=>