Edmond Rodriguez on 15 Oct 2009 10:34:35 -0700

[PLUG] logtail2 Re: 'logtail' Re: 'logcheck'

After much googling for an easy way of tailing log files in a batch mode, I learned logtail2 is also in the logcheck distribution (added at some later time), which was made to answer issues of rotation.  It seems to work for a simple test of one rotation.  It at least needs some rotation detection code it stores in /usr/share/logtail/detectrotate.

So this may be a simple way to tail logs (batch), even with one rotation (maybe more, don't know).   If the file rotates once, and a tail is run, the output will be the last lines, not seen, from the rotated log file, plus all the new lines of the newly made log file

Though I have only run very simple tests with it, it seems to stand alone (/usr/sbin/logtail2, /usr/share/logtail) not needing the rest of the logcheck distribution.

Edmond