JP Vossen on 8 Nov 2009 14:35:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird Lightning

> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:50:50 -0500
> From: "Arthur S. Alexion" <arthur@alexion.com>
>
> Is anyone using this extension?
>
> When my company moved from exchange 2003 -> 2007, evolution broke.  The
> evolution-mapi plugin is not ready for a production environment.  I got
> davmail (http://davmail.sourceforge.net/) working with Thunderbird for mail,
> but I can't seem to create a calendar in lightning.  It displays a calendar,
> but editing events, configuring or creating an new calendar, all seem
> impossible.  Short of a brief FAQ, there isn't much documentation on the
> lightning site.  Google doesn't seem to help much either.
>
> Anyone deal with this or know of a good source of info?
>
> I may just go with kontact, but I wanted to stick to gnome apps on my gnome
> box, and kde apps on the kde box.

What Lee said...

I just installed it out of the Karmic repo on the Mini9 (LPIA not i386).
  I added a bunch of Google Calendars, via the Google provider (that I'm
pretty sure was auto-installed).  It works, but...  TB has previously
been rock stable, and now it's hung on me though to be fair I'm having
problems with Karmic, so I can't blame Lightning for sure.  Basic
operations take more time, presumably due to polling Google for stuff.
I've had a couple of read/write access errors from Google, but I haven't
bothered to track them down since I'm just playing.  Also, as you
mention the documentation is non-existent and the configuration is not
clear enough to set up without it, at least for Google.

Having said all of that, it looks OK and so far does what I want (just
playing).  It has promise but I'm not sure it's ready for production
corporate use.

OTOH, and not that it helps you, but Evolution on Hardy has been pretty
good with Exchange at work; guess they haven't "upgraded" yet.  It was
also easier to set up the Google calendars and I haven't gotten any
useless errors on those.

My $0.02,
JP