Lee Marzke on 8 Nov 2009 22:09:11 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird Lightning

JP Vossen wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:50:50 -0500
>> From: "Arthur S. Alexion" <arthur@alexion.com>
>>
>> Is anyone using this extension?
>>
>> When my company moved from exchange 2003 -> 2007, evolution broke.  The
>> evolution-mapi plugin is not ready for a production environment.  I got
>> davmail (http://davmail.sourceforge.net/) working with Thunderbird for mail,
>> but I can't seem to create a calendar in lightning.  It displays a calendar,
>> but editing events, configuring or creating an new calendar, all seem
>> impossible.  Short of a brief FAQ, there isn't much documentation on the
>> lightning site.  Google doesn't seem to help much either.
>>
>> Anyone deal with this or know of a good source of info?
>>
>> I may just go with kontact, but I wanted to stick to gnome apps on my gnome
>> box, and kde apps on the kde box.
>>

> What Lee said...
>
> I just installed it out of the Karmic repo on the Mini9 (LPIA not i386).
>   I added a bunch of Google Calendars, via the Google provider (that I'm
> pretty sure was auto-installed).  It works, but...  TB has previously
> been rock stable, and now it's hung on me though to be fair I'm having
> problems with Karmic, so I can't blame Lightning for sure.  Basic
> operations take more time, presumably due to polling Google for stuff.
> I've had a couple of read/write access errors from Google, but I haven't
> bothered to track them down since I'm just playing.  Also, as you
> mention the documentation is non-existent and the configuration is not
> clear enough to set up without it, at least for Google.
>
> Having said all of that, it looks OK and so far does what I want (just
> playing).  It has promise but I'm not sure it's ready for production
> corporate use.
>
> OTOH, and not that it helps you, but Evolution on Hardy has been pretty
> good with Exchange at work; guess they haven't "upgraded" yet.  It was
> also easier to set up the Google calendars and I haven't gotten any
> useless errors on those.
>
> My $0.02,
Just to clarify,  TB/Lighting is rock solid for me,  but I disabled all
the Google Calendar
stuff - I only use Lighting.     The google package had some files
required by lightning.

Here is a helpful link to Lightning requirements:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/system-requirements.html

Instead I use the sync-kolab  plugin to save all calendar, To-do and
address-book
entries to my IMAP account.

Lee