K.S. Bhaskar on 23 Nov 2009 04:54:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New maps for TomTom One 2nd using Linux?

I used to be a fan of TomTom when I bought my first add-on GPS, a
TomTom One.  It was inexpensive, fast and accurate.  But its maps
could not be updated except by buying an entire new map, for almost
the cost of a new unit.  For my third* add-on, I bought a TomTom One
140s.  But neither TomTom is Linux friendly for the user, even if they
run Linux internally.

After my experience last weekend, I don't plan to buy a TomTom ever
again.  After a software and map update, the 140s refused to boot.
The solution turned out to be to delete everything on it except the
maps, treating it as a USB drive, and then reload the operating
software - looks like it is a common problem and the solution was on
TomTom's support page.  It ruined my weekend.

I was not able to get the TomTom software running on Linux with wine,
even after locating and providing it with some DLLs it needed.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

* For my second add-on GPS, I first bought a Garmin 265 WT (Costco
special) and was annoyed with the fact that there was no way to show
the compass direction I was traveling in.  So I returned it.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:11 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> My wife would like me to update the map on her TomTom One (I think it's
> a second edition unit).  Since it has an SD slot I'd been assuming I
> could just buy an SD card with the new map and stick it in, but it seems
> it's not that easy.  (And why isn't it?  Morons.)

[KSB] <...snip...>