Carl Johnson on 1 Dec 2009 06:31:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firewall/UTM recommendations?

www.smoothwall.org free
www.smoothwall.com commercial
They have a free version you can play with as well as a commercial grade appliance. Lotsa guys on the forums there use the free version as a PIX/Juniper replacement though. Only issue may be your T1 connection. As long as you have a csu/dsu you should be good as there's little support for T1 cards.

Sent from my Treo™ wireless handheld device.

From: Mike Sheinberg <m.sheiny@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:36 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] Firewall/UTM recommendations?

Hey PLUG'ers,

I'm looking for a firewall/UTM solution to replace my company's old PIX firewall and was hoping to get some advice from the group. In the past I've used Astaro's Security Gateway which proved to be a stable and feature-full device. The network parameters include about 10 users, hosting of an email server, and a T1 WAN link (soon to be 3Mb/s; up from 1.5Mb). Personally, I'd prefer something with a web GUI but if someone can convince me why I should really learn IOS or some other command line solution I'll definitely take it under consideration. The thing I liked about the Astaro products is that it will likely play nice with our Linux environment since it allowed for things like log forwarding, openVPN connections, and LDAP authentication.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the input!
-Mike