Lee Marzke on 1 Dec 2009 07:48:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firewall/UTM recommendations?

Mike,

Do you think there is interest in a talk showcasing all the firewall/UTM
appliances,  seems like
we have a range of users and interest.

I've been using Endian UTM for about 5 years now and it may be the most
complete UTM appliance
out there.  http://www.endian.com/en/community/overview/

- Web GUI
- 4 zone Firewall with numerous source and destination port forwarding
options.
- Failover uplinks,  VLAN support ,  split DNS
- Transparent Proxy for smtp,  ftp,  web,  dns.
- OpenVPN ( both server and gw2gw ),  IPsec gw2gw
- Services:   Antivirus (havp , amavis ) , Time server, Snort, Traffic
Monitor (NTOP)
                   smtp server (proxy), QoS, multi zone DHCP with fixed
leases.
- Proxy Auth:  Local NCSA,  Windows AD,  LDAP,   Radius   ( can join an
AD domain )
- Stats:  Traffic graphs,  remote syslog

This is the free community GPL version which has all the features above.

The supported version has automatic updates, hotspot, and remote network
management,  and
is also available in a hardware appliance. ( Note the hardware is a
little underpowered,  so if your
comfortable with hardware your better off with your own box )

For business use,  you might consider the commercial version which also
supports high-avaliability
(hot standby with heartbeat ).       I'm an Endian partner,  so contact
me off-list if you want commercial pricing.

Lee Marzke
4aero.com