K.S. Bhaskar on 5 Dec 2009 10:21:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Virtual Setup Suggestions Wanted

My two bits' worth, for what they're worth.

QEMU is both a disk format as well as virtualization software.  If you
are buying new hardware, you will probably want to use kvm for
virtualization.  It's in the kernel, it's fast, it's robust, and it is
under continuous development.  This is what I use and recommend.

Virtual Box works well.  What is its future under Oracle?

I stay away from VMBloatware.  I did use it for many years, but
eventually moved to QEMU and then kvm because it was too unstable and
wouldn't keep up with Linux kernels in a timely manner.  So, there
were times when I was faced with applying a security update and
keeping my fingers crossed that it would not break VMware or not
applying the security update and ...

I have no experience with Xen.

My personal opinion is that virtualization is overhyped and overused.
In 90% of the cases I have seen, applications could be installed
together on the same computer without impacting one other.  The
situations when I have seen a real need for virtualization are few and
far between.  [One case where it is clearly justified is when system
administrators managing different applications cannot trust one
another, the cloud being an obvious case.  Another is where you must
run an untrustworthy OS.]

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> I'm thinking of replacing most of my servers with a single machine running
> virtual servers.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions from the group on which hypervisor to use.   here
> are my current thoughts:
>
> Virtualbox
>
> 1.  I already know it well from the desktop version
> 2.  I could use the open-sourced version, so no licensing issues
> 3.  Requires a full GUI to run under (at least to run it easily)
> 4.  Requires a normal Linux distro to hold the hypervisor
>

> VMWare Server
>
> 1.  Not open source, but free, and likely to remain available for a good while
> 2.  I'm not that familiar with it
> 3.  Requires a normal Linux distro to hold the hypervisor
>

> Xen
>
> 1.  I'm not at all familiar with it
> 2.  Would need a new CPU ($$ - I've got old hardware) to enable it to run
> without a separate Linux distro as hypervisor
> 3.  Doesn't produce a "pure" virtual machine unless you have a modern CPU,
> which I don't have at the moment
>

> QEMU
>
> 1.  I'm not familiar with it at all
>

> Ideally, I'd like to experiment with the system, then purchase some upgraded
> hardware to run in production.  That pretty much screws Xen.  I really like
> Virtualbox, but would prefer for the virtualizing software to be the
> hypervisor.
>

> Any suggestions from the group?
>
> --
>
> Casey Bralla
> Chief Nerd in Residence
> The NerdWorld Organisation
>
> http://www.NerdWorld.org

Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans