Casey Bralla on 5 Dec 2009 09:24:15 -0800

[PLUG] Virtual Setup Suggestions Wanted

I'm thinking of replacing most of my servers with a single machine running
virtual servers.

I'm looking for suggestions from the group on which hypervisor to use.   here
are my current thoughts:

Virtualbox

1.  I already know it well from the desktop version
2.  I could use the open-sourced version, so no licensing issues
3.  Requires a full GUI to run under (at least to run it easily)
4.  Requires a normal Linux distro to hold the hypervisor

VMWare Server

1.  Not open source, but free, and likely to remain available for a good while
2.  I'm not that familiar with it
3.  Requires a normal Linux distro to hold the hypervisor

Xen

1.  I'm not at all familiar with it
2.  Would need a new CPU ($$ - I've got old hardware) to enable it to run
without a separate Linux distro as hypervisor
3.  Doesn't produce a "pure" virtual machine unless you have a modern CPU,
which I don't have at the moment

QEMU

1.  I'm not familiar with it at all

Ideally, I'd like to experiment with the system, then purchase some upgraded
hardware to run in production.  That pretty much screws Xen.  I really like
Virtualbox, but would prefer for the virtualizing software to be the
hypervisor.

Any suggestions from the group?

--

Casey Bralla