Lee Marzke on 5 Dec 2009 14:05:11 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Virtual Setup Suggestions Wanted

Casey,

You left out Vmware ESX which is now free.

The differences from VMware Server to ESX are:
- No underlying OS,  it installed to bare metal.
- ESX is more efficient at sharing common memory between similar VM's (
such as multiple
  Linux OS's )
- ESX can run just about any Guest OS,  even without Intel-VT or AMD-V
cores.
- ESX can easily mount external storage vis NFS or iSCSI
- ESX has a build in Linux command line,  while ESXi is much smaller has
has no command line.
- Both ESX and ESXi are managed by a Vmware Client,  you can't manage
  them from their console.
- ESX is picky about hardware - limited support for NIC's and Disk
drivers.  See the info
  in the slides below.

If you running production boxes,  you really should think about having 2
hosts minimum
and live migration support.   Yes you need a SAN for this but you can
use OpenFiler or
something like IOmega Storecenter Pro ix4-100

There is no question that VMware is more expensive ( may be 2X or more )
than the other products,  however you won't need to do any scripting.
All the Vmotion ( moving
machines between hosts while running )  just works out of the box.   You
also get a disaster
recover option to backup a machines VM disk ( while running ).

To Eval, just install ESXi without a license, and install  VCenter
Server without a license and
you get o play with all the Enterprise features for 60 days.   You do
need a Windows VM for
Vcenter server, and a Windows VM for the VMware Client.

FYI,
Screenshots of many of the Hypervisors  from PLUG Norths panel
discussion are here:

http://plug.4aero.com/Members/lmarzke/plug_virtualization

I currently run about 6 VM's  ( mostly Linux web servers )  on a  Dual
2-core Opteron
1U server with 12GB RAM,  and it has been flawless.

Lee

--
"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP