Casey Bralla on 10 Dec 2009 16:21:54 -0800

[PLUG] Firewall & Virtual Web Servers

So I'm planning on virtualizing my servers, and I thought I'd also like to
virtualize my individual web domains.   I'd appreciate advice and comments on
my (goof-ball) plan.

I currently host several web domains on a single web server (with a single
static IP) by utilizing Apache's virtual web server system.  So far this
system works very well, except that it gets kinda complicated if some of the
web sites want to do forums, or blogs, etc.  if each web page was running in
it's own virtual machine, then this would be much easier.

Unfortunately, if each gets it's own virtual machine, how will I route traffic
to the correct virtual machine?

Right now, my firewall forwards all port 80 traffic to a unique machine on my DMZ
which runs Apache, and then Apache determines which web domain has been
requested and automagically serves up the correct page(s).

I'd like to do almost the same thing, but have the firewall determine which web
domain has been requested, and then forward it to the correct virtual machine.

Is this even possible?   Anybody have any suggestions how the firewall might
detect which domain has been requested?

TIA!

--

Casey Bralla