Marc Zucchelli on 15 Dec 2009 16:30:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Problem with streaming of youtube videos on linux pc

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've been having an issue where if I watch a video on
> youtube, without fail, the video will stop and go into
> continue playing on it's own at this point. I can drag the
> slider a few seconds to the right and it will continue for
> another 30 seconds. This happens in both firefox AND
> konqueror.
> >
> > Here is what really bothers me. This is a dual boot
> system, and I can boot into windows and watch the same
> videos with no problems whatsoever. Same hardware and
> internet connection, different OS.
> >
> > On the linux side, I am running OpenSuse 11.2 64-bit,
> KDE 4.3.1 r6. Video hardware is ATI, RV770 [Radeon HD 4870].
> Wireless internet connection with RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B
> 802.11g. Firefox 3.5.5 and flash plugin
> 10.0.32.1-3.2.1-i586.
> >
> > I have reason to believe this is not strictly a
> youtube issue. I seem to have other issues when in Firefox
> as well, sometimes a page loads halfway and just stops
> completely. Also when I boot up and my previously opened
> tabs open up, none of the pages load until I hit refresh on
> each one of them.
> >
> > Any help troubling shooting, or any ideas would be
> appreciated!
>
> 32 or 64 bit Windows?
>
> Try booting a Live CD (Ubuntu or whatever) and try that?

The windows partition has 64 bit windows installed.

In regards to the live cd. I'm on it! What is interesting and may very well be related to my youtube problem is, I can't seem to download a cd image.  I am downloading the OpenSUSE KDE Live CD in Firefox, and it just says "Starting", but is going no where. In Konquerer the download made it to 12K and stopped. I tried wget from the command line, and that looked like it was working for a while...until it stopped at 76M. In order to make sure there isn't an issue with the download link itself I got from suse, I tried Ubunto, with the exact same behavior.

By the way, I am running very new hardware on a FIOS internet connection. This should be lightning fast. But seems to be choking constantly?