Casey Bralla on 19 Dec 2009 18:50:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Recovering data from dead laptop hard drive

On Saturday December 19, 2009 9:18:09 pm Walt Mankowski wrote:
> A few weeks ago the hard drive died on my trusty old 2004-vintage
> Powerbook G4 laptop.
>

> I also tried freezing the drive overnight, but
> Linux still wouldn't recognize it.

That's a good idea.  I've tried it several times, although I think its one of
those ideas which is more effective in theory than in practice.  It only helps
if the bearings on the unit have gotten too loose, but not yet damaged the
platters....  seems like a low probability to me.

> One other odd thing about this drive -- most IDE drives have 44 pins.
> However, this drive has 50 pins.  Here's a picture of what it looks like:
>
> http://www.myrightdrive.com/images/IDE-connector.jpg

Laptop drives have 50 pins and a slightly different connector scheme.  You can
buy an adapter connector for a couple of bucks to make them work.  You can't
just plug them in to a normal 40-pin IDE connector and let the extra pins
dangle.  The larger connector also supplied power to the drive.

I have one of these adapters and would be willing to loan it to you if you
want to brave the blizzard.  I'm in West Grove, PA.   Also, Radio Shaft may
sell them.  I bought one on-line several years ago when I was trying to revive
my laptop drive.  <sigh>  (it never came back to life, BTW)

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence

http://www.NerdWorld.org