Richard Freeman on 29 Dec 2009 08:03:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VNC to Echo on Remote Desktop

On 12/29/2009 12:12 AM, Edgar Hill wrote:

> er, that should read "an already running X session"

There are a couple of approaches you can use (seems like you got one
working already).

One technology is xrfb (X11 Remote Frame Buffer) which allows you to
attach a remote terminal (typically vnc) to an already-running X session.

I used to use this on KDE - it has a decent implementation of it (easy
to use) documented at:
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdenetwork/krdc/index.html

For Gnome I found this via google:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/share-your-ubuntu-desktop-using-remote-desktop.html

They seem to use a program called vino - I've never used it and can't
vouch for it, but do let us know if/how you get it working.

What I'd really like is a way to move a program running on one display
to a different display.  I've been frustrated by the fact that firefox
cannot have two windows open for the same user profile on two different
displays.  The problem largely went away when I switched to chromium
which seems to support this just fine.  Note that I mean two different
X11 DISPLAY settings - not a single display that happens to be spread
across multiple monitors.  The DISPLAYs have different X11 servers.

Rich