Casey Bralla on 30 Dec 2009 05:39:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VBox USB issue

On Wednesday 30 December 2009 8:33:10 am Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 December 2009 19:30:31 Casey Bralla wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 December 2009 5:32:25 pm Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > > The menu item for mounting USB devices in the VM never seems to detect
> > >  them. Sharing of folders on the host does.  So if I mount a USB device
> > > on the host and share the mount point, I can achieve this.  Problem is,
> > > each device creates its own mount point usually based on file system
> > > label, and the mount point doesn't exist until the device is plugged in
> > > so there is no hot plugging using this work around.  I have to plug in
> > > a device, let it mount, share the mount point, and then launch the VM.
> > > If I want to plug in something else which may create a different mount
> > > point, I can't.
> > > Any ideas for making this work better?
> >
> > Do you mean VirtualBox?
>
> Yes, sorry.
>
> > I never have any trouble with USB devices in
> > VirtualBox.  (Inf act, I have less problem with Windows clients than I do
> >  with  native Linux.)
> >
> > Are you selecting the USB device from the top menu in VirtualBox?
>
> That is what I am trying to do, but none appear there.
>
> I am using Kubuntu 9.10 as the host.  The host detects the plugged in
>  device. I have tried accessing the USB from VirtualBox both when mounted
>  on the host system and not.  Nothing appears in the available device list
>  on the menu you mention.
>
> It will access them, if I mount them as host shares, as I mentioned.
>
> Am I missing something obvious in my VBox setup?
>
> > When I
> >  do  that, the guest operating system always detects it almost
> > immediately.

OK, I understand now (I think <grin>).

You are probably using the "ose" version of VirtualBox, which does not include
USB support.  The ose version is the fully GPL'd open source system.    In
order to get USB support, you have to download the binary version from
VirtualBox.org.   They have Debian packages, which I presume will work in
Ubuntu.   Their download page shows you how to add the VirtualBox repository
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.   Once there, Ubuntu can automatically
download and install it just like any other package.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation