Casey Bralla on 31 Dec 2009 15:17:59 -0800

[PLUG] Update: How To Diagnose System Instability?

Thanks to the group for the good suggestions and comments (even Eric, who had
to duck for suggesting I had worn out my system <grin>)

Anyway, I think I figured it out and thought I'd let the group know what I
did.

I discovered that the memtest program will let you know which bank of DIMMs is
giving the error.  In my case, the offending DIMM was one that I had _not_
removed.  (You may remember that removing half the DIMMs made the problem
better, but did not eliminate it.)

So I removed the offending DIMMs and put the other memory back into it's
**original sockets**.  This seemed to work fine.  I had no crashes, and ran
the memtest program for almost 8 hours with zero errors.

I then tried putting the offending DIMMs by swapping the "bad" DIMMs for teh
"good" DIMMs and putting them into sockets where the good memory was running.
Although I didn't run my tests for hours this time, everything seemed good, so
I threw caution to the wind and put the "good" DIMMs into the "bad" sockets
that had shown errors previously.

It all worked.  I've been recompiling my entire Gentoo system for about 6
hours without any problems.

So here is my conclusion:

I had faulty electrical contacts on one of the DIMMs, which got better when I
mechanically stressed the motherboard by removing the other memory DIMMs.
(This is why the problem got better when I removed half the RAM.)  Removing
the memory chips and re-seating them corrected the contact problem.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation