Eric on 4 Jan 2010 08:38:09 -0800

[PLUG] sendmail (gasp!) configuration

I just set up a new RedHat 5.4 server in late December to replace an old
RH 3 system.  It is a database server so the only reason it needs to
send email is for log-monitoring purposes.  RH 3 used postfix but RH 5
uses sendmail so I cannot simply copy the old configuration.

Mail sent by the new system is bounced with this message:

553 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1)

I thought that it was because the return address is:
"root@newserver.domain.internal" but the emails from the old system come
through just fine with a return address of "root@oldserver.domain.internal".

The company has their network through Vantage so I suspect that I should
direct the new server to deliver the mail through mail.vantageip.net.
Is that right - will it solve the bounce problem?  Alternatively, should
I tell it to "masquerade" as newserver.domain.com?

If so, how in the world do I tell sendmail how to do either of these
things?
The RH docs on this are scant:
 http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-email-mta.html#s2-email-mta-sendmail
but do include this:

FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`bigcorp.com.')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`bigcorp.com.')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(bigcorp.com)dnl

Sadly, this section (24.3.1.4) in the document does not appear to
describe the problem I'm seeing so I'm not sure it is the answer.

What are some good, simple Sendmail admin resources?

TIA
Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas