Lee Marzke on 13 Jan 2010 14:29:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Flip video on Ubuntu Netbook

Don't know if this will help, but I've just been playing with a friends
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 with motion capture AVCHD files.

I used Handbrake transcoder  ( deb available on site) on Ubuntu 9.10

You might try transcoding your file to another format that works better
as most of the highly compressed files may be to intensive to decode
in real time on the Atom.

Lee

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Asus EeePC 1000
> Atom N270 @ 1.6 ghz
> 1 gb ram
> Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix with medibuntu archive enabled.
>
> Flip Video Ultra HD creates mpeg-4 files
>
> 2 Questions:
>
> Totem, VLC and kaffeine only play sound and just the first video frame.
> Mplayer does the same, but after the sound is gone, it plays a really jerky
> video.  Other MP4 files seem to play fine.  Power issue or codec problem?
>
> F-spot doesn't do video.  digiKam does, but not so well as to justify its
> bloat.  It doesn't integrate into the UNR launcher anyway.  This is for my
> non-technical wife, who would appreciate something like f-spot instead of just
> using nautilus to copy the files.  Any recommendations?

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 484-961-0369  voice         +1 484-348-2230 fax