Art Alexion on 14 Jan 2010 04:21:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Flip video on Ubuntu Netbook

I considered transcoding, but I was hoping for something just plug and
play for her.  The Flip has a built in usb port.  When you plug it
into Ubuntu, it offers to open with f-spot, which would be perfect if
f-spot handled videos.

So, you think it is the Atom which is the bottleneck?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> Don't know if this will help, but I've just been playing with a friends
> Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 with motion capture AVCHD files.
>
> I used Handbrake transcoder  ( deb available on site) on Ubuntu 9.10
>
> You might try transcoding your file to another format that works better
> as most of the highly compressed files may be to intensive to decode
> in real time on the Atom.
>
> Lee
>
> Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
>> Asus EeePC 1000
>> Atom N270 @ 1.6 ghz
>> 1 gb ram
>> Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix with medibuntu archive enabled.
>>
>> Flip Video Ultra HD creates mpeg-4 files
>>
>> 2 Questions:
>>
>> Totem, VLC and kaffeine only play sound and just the first video frame.
>> Mplayer does the same, but after the sound is gone, it plays a really jerky
>> video.  Other MP4 files seem to play fine.  Power issue or codec problem?
>>
>> F-spot doesn't do video.  digiKam does, but not so well as to justify its
>> bloat.  It doesn't integrate into the UNR launcher anyway.  This is for my
>> non-technical wife, who would appreciate something like f-spot instead of just
>> using nautilus to copy the files.  Any recommendations?

> --
> "Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos
>
> Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
> IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
> +1 484-961-0369  voice         +1 484-348-2230 fax

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface