Matthew Edlefsen on 14 Jan 2010 05:54:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Flip video on Ubuntu Netbook

It might be a performance issue.  That camera records 720p h264/aac
video(1) which may be hard for an atom by itself(2).  The eee pc 1000
has an integrated intel GMA 950(3) which unfortunately doesn't have
hardware h264 decoding so you're stuck doing it on the atom.

I'm a little surprised you're not seeing anything though, so maybe
it's a combination of things.

I would also suggest transcoding them (on a desktop).  When my gf got
a video camera that produced files imovie couldn't import I wrote a
little script that would batch transcode them into dv using ffmpeg.
Not a perfect solution but it worked.

1. http://store.theflip.com/UltraHD.aspx
2. http://fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7782&Itemid=66
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Specifications