Carl Johnson on 29 Jan 2010 09:40:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] no moving parts

"The Mini-9 I'm typing this on has no moving parts...."

So the keyboard is a touch pad and the lid isn't foldable??  :-P

Sent from my Treo™ wireless handheld device.

-----Original Message-----
From: JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 12:24  PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] no moving parts

> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:19:35 -0500
> From: Bill Patterson <patterson@computer.org>
>
> Can anyone recommend a computer with no moving parts?  I want one to
> stay on 24/7 and be there to 'wake-on-lan' my other computers only when
> I want them on.  This computer would have to take Debian Linux.

The Mini-9 I'm typing this on has no moving parts, and a built-in UPS
good for 4+ hours.  Mine is running Ubuntu, but I'm sure Debian would be
fine.  1G RAM (the most they can sell with because they also run XP.
What monopoly?) with 16G SSD is $259 on the Dell Outlet site.
Interestingly, ONLY units running Windows are available, I guess no one
is returning ones with Ubuntu?  Snicker.

The power brick is small, actually a wall wart, unlike the larger ones
other folks have mentioned.  Three are obvious pros and cons to using a
small laptop; that's up to you.

Good luck,
JP