JP Vossen on 2 Feb 2010 23:27:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Best way to edit EXIF info on linux?

On 2009-12-22 04:35 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
>  > Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:01:15 -0500
>  > From: Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
>  >
>  > I'd like to be able to remove some or all of the EXIF data in .jpg
>  > files I make public. GIMP displays some of the information, but
>  > doesn't really provide for editing. KDE lets you edit some (but not
>  > all) things by right-clicking on the file and changing its properties.
>  >
>  > A search for "exif" on packages.debian.org turns up some libraries
>  > related to this function, but no GUI app that offers to let you
>  > manually edit/delete this data. Is there any such thing?
>
> If you want to do it for a lot of pics, you are better off on the
> command line anyway. There are lots of CLI utils to read EXIF, but I
> only see a couple that can obviously write it (more probably exist with
> less clear descriptions):
>
> $ apt-cache search exif | sort | less
> [Mark I eyeball scanning, copy&paste:]
> exiv2 - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation tool
> jhead - manipulate the non-image part of Exif compliant JPEG files
>

> If you really want a GUI, I suspect that at least one of these would do
> that:
>
> $ apt-cache search image viewer | sort | less
> danpei - Gtk+ based Image Viewer
> gimageview - Image Viewer using GTK+
> gpicview - lightweight image viewer
> gqview - A simple image viewer using GTK+
> gthumb - an image viewer and browser
> imgseek - Image viewer and manager with content based query
> showimg - A feature-rich image viewer
>
> $ apt-cache search photo | sort | less
> albumshaper - Photo album creator and photo manipulator
> f-spot - personal photo management application
> flphoto - Image manager with great printing functionality
> lphoto - digital photo manager
>
> Out-of-scope, but sounds cool:
> gpscorrelate - correlates digital photos with GPS data filling EXIF fields
> gpscorrelate-gui - correlates digital photos with GPS data filling EXIF
> fields
>
> BONUS:
> I've used this one to edit ID3 tags in MP3s, it's a bit clunky but the
> best of the 3-4 GUI tools I tried. I wanted GUI in this case because I
> had a small number of dissimilar changes to make and figuring it out on
> the CLI would have been slower:
> exfalso - audio tag editor for GTK+

A bit late, but I found a really nice way to do this.

I had some pics saved as *.JPG (note caps), so:

$ sudo aptitude install imagemagick
$ for pic in *.JPG; do
     echo $pic
     echo convert $pic -strip ${pic%%.JPG}.jpg;
done

Once it works as you expect, remove the 'echo' in front of the 'convert'
part.  That will create new files with lower case .jpg.  Nuke or move
the *.JPG or whatever.  Or tweak the shell fragment as needed.  You can
do a one-liner like so, but that is much harder to read in this message:
$ for pic in *.JPG; do echo $pic ; echo convert $pic -strip
${pic%%.JPG}.jpg; done

$ man convert
[...]
	-strip	strip image of all profiles and comments
[...]

convert can do all kinds of crazy stuff, -strip doesn't even scratch the
surface.

Later,
JP