Eric on 3 Feb 2010 09:31:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] why go open- my xp box massively exploited ... AGAIN

Ron:

In my experience, you're making the right move.

I have been using Linux for my main workstation since the mid 1990's and the
kernel was in the 0.9x range.  Source brought home on floppys, Yggadrasil,
Slackware, Linux Internet Archive CD sets bought at Micro Center, SuSE and
finally, Ubuntu.  I've been through the works!  I switched from Open SuSE to
Ubuntu in '08 and have been supremely happy with it ever since.

If it was not for Quickbooks (blame my accountant and bookkeeper who won't use
anything else) I would be damn close to 100% Linux all the time.  I have to
support customers using Windows so I need to keep it around but Virtual Box will
soon free me from having a separate Windows system.  I tested Win 7 and it
worked in Virtual Box... as well as one could expect Windows to work.

I've cleaned countless systems of the kind of crap you describe and it's a
nightmare.  The malware writers are getting better and better while Windows, and
the users, cannot keep up.

I used to tell people that Linux supports my programming, desktop computing, and
server needs... but Windows pays my rent.  That has changed this year as I'm now
working full time on open-source web development and I only use Windows to check
the web site operation in IE 7 or access IE-only web sites :-(

As I'm sure you already know, you're in the right place (PLUG) and you won't
regret the switch.

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas