K.S. Bhaskar on 10 Feb 2010 06:17:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Unix Rosetta Stone (Was: Re: Equivalent of id for groups)

2010/2/10  <bergman@merctech.com>:

> In the message dated: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:24:56 EST,
> The pithy ruminations from "K.S. Bhaskar" on
> <Re: [PLUG] Equivalent of id for groups> were:
> =>

[KSB] <...snip...>

> Ick! MIME-mail.

[KSB] Sorry.  I was using Gmail from a web interface, and I thought I
had it set to plain text formatting.  Not sure where the MIME came
from.

> I guess what you meant to write was something like:
>

> =>
> => Just checked on some UNIX systems... getent is there on a Solaris
> => SPARC system, but not on an AIX system or HP-UX system.  Any other
> => suggestions?  Thanks.
>

> Are you (plural) aware of the "Unix Rosetta Stone"? It's a wonderful
> cross-platform listing of commands and common tasks. For example, it gives the
> equivalent to "getent" for 16 different OSs.
>
> See:
>
>        http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

[KSB] Excellent!  Thank you.  I was not aware of this.

Regards
-- Bhaskar