Mike Leone on 19 Feb 2010 11:29:09 -0800

[PLUG] Anyone using Groundwork Monitor Community Edition for monitoring?

I'm looking into using the Groundwork Monitor Community Edition, to
monitor various things on my LAN. At the moment, I am trying out the
VMware appliance version. Any one else using (or used) this?

I used to use a different, Windows-based monitoring system at my old
job, so this is the first time I'm trying a Linux-based one. I know that
it uses SNMP to communicate, so I am installing and making a new
community on my servers, as a means of testing. All my servers are
Windows based, and I also have a few Cisco and Nortel routers out there,
that I'd like to keep an eye on. I'm interested in the basis, at the
moment - CPU going above set limits, memory usage, free disk space,
verifying specific services are in running state, web servers responding
back in a timely manner, that sort of stuff. My old monitoring system
(What's Up Gold) used to be able to restart stopped services, which is a
useful feature.

Haven't found a good intro step-by-step guide yet (or not one that is
resonating with me, anyway), so any input appreciated.

Thanks