Gordon Dexter on 7 Mar 2010 08:31:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] What Forum Software to use?

There's a reason phpBB is so popular, and that's probably because it's
great software.  I last used it a few years ago, and it was great back
then; I'm sure it's even better now.

I had a friend who ran a web hosting service, and back then (like 4-5
years ago) he said that phpBB was the 'bane of [his] existence' because
of it's popularity and frequent security issues.  I think it's gotten
better, but patching is still important.

The other community forum software I've used is e107.  It's a more
general content management system with a forum plugin, and it has done
everything I needed, but I'm not sure if I'm as confident in its
architecture.

--Gordon