Asheesh Laroia on 8 Mar 2010 13:11:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] What Forum Software to use?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Gordon Dexter wrote:

> There's a reason phpBB is so popular, and that's probably because it's
> great software.  I last used it a few years ago, and it was great back
> then; I'm sure it's even better now.
>
> I had a friend who ran a web hosting service, and back then (like 4-5
> years ago) he said that phpBB was the 'bane of [his] existence' because
> of it's popularity and frequent security issues.  I think it's gotten
> better, but patching is still important.
>
> The other community forum software I've used is e107.  It's a more
> general content management system with a forum plugin, and it has done
> everything I needed, but I'm not sure if I'm as confident in its
> architecture.

I've used FUDForum for its great mailinglist <-> forum integration. I
think that alone justifies using it, if it's something you want.

-- Asheesh.

--
God instructs the heart, not by ideas, but by pains and contradictions.
 		-- De Caussade