Morgan Jones on 9 Mar 2010 06:58:10 -0800

Re: [PLUG] cfagent

Adam et al,

I have moderate experience with cfengine in a prior life and more recently we did a proof of concept that was scuttled by politics.  I also went to a few talks at LISA '08 that were referred to elsewhere in this thread..

My read on cfengine and Puppet is they are very useful tools if implemented correctly.  They can be horrendous if not..

I am frequently amazed at how little configuration management is in use.  In most cases it seems to be driven by politics: bureaucracy that is just too big and clumsy to properly understand the benefits of properly configured configuration management.

I can speak more for cfengine but there is a learning curve and you really should have a solid grasp of how it works before deploying broadly but I'd say both are hugely useful tools that are worth considering.

Is that the question you were asking?

-morgan