JP Vossen on 13 Mar 2010 13:24:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hardware, acquisition

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:05:55 -0500
> From: Conor Schaefer <conor.schaefer@gmail.com>
>
> Not too sound like The Man, but Dell has been offering Ubuntu for years
> now, and I think buying a machine through them would very much be voting
> with dollars. Of course, I myself would rather buy from a dedicated Linux
> vendor such as System76, but if you're looking for familiar decent (i.e. not
> great, like System76 often has) hardware, then Dell is your place.

Dell has a very hate/love relationship with Linux, and I simply can't
recommend them for workstations anymore.  They make it really hard to
find the Linux offerings, they mess around with them, and their support
is a PITA for Linux.  I also hate the way they constantly call to harass
you about service contracts.

Last year I attempted to buy 2x laptops and 2x Desktops with Ubuntu from
them.  The desktops were OK, but the laptop purchase--did not go well.
After a couple of *months* of back-and forth, they unilaterally canceled
the order and were useless in trying to come up with something else
comparable.  At the time I was in a hurry so I bought 2x refurbished
laptops from them.  Even though I made sure I had Intel wireless (no
Broadcom garbage), I still have problems with them, and there is a known
kernel panic on Hardy on the unit, so wireless is useless.  (I'm hoping
that'll be fixed in 10.04)

We're a Dell shop at work and use hundreds of Dell servers, virtually
all of which run Linux, and they are great.  But I've had more problems
than I care to continue dealing with for Linux on Dell workstations.

So far, System76 has been great, though I wish they'd use LVM for the
partition.  Right now they put almost all space into /home, and while I
understand that, it isn't always what I want.  It'd be easier to fix if
they'd set it up right using LVM.

OK, shutting up now,
JP