Casey Bralla on 17 Mar 2010 16:26:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Help with NFS Share

I think I see your problem.  You have your terms reversed in the mount
statement.   See my correction below.

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 9:58:34 am Eric H. Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to map the mythtv (mythbuntu) videos etc. folders to a front
> end. In the exports file on the backend I have:
>
> /var/lib/mythtv/videos
> *(rw,async,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
> /var/lib/mythtv/music
> *(rw,async,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
> /var/lib/mythtv/pictures
> *(rw,async,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
> *(rw,async,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>
> Note: insecure should not be needed, but I get the same thing without it.
> There was a reference that it was needed to share with Apple computers
> (another UNIX OS).
>
> Both machines are on the same subnet, there is no router, firewall or other
> nat device between the two computers.
>
> On the client I enter:
>
> sudo mount 10.0.0.7:/videos /var/lib/mythtv/videos

This should be:

sudo mount 10.0.0.7:/var/lib/mythtv/videos /videos

You might also need to add these terms between the "mount" and the "10.0.0.7"

-t nfs -o vers=3".

The "-t nfs" indicates an nfs mount
the "-o vers=3" makes the server and client negotiate on the older nfs version
3.  For reasons I never understood, something about version 4 was harder to
link.

> The client side error reported is:
> mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.0.0.7:/videos
>
> Syslog on the server gives a related error:
> Mythtv1-backend1 mountd[2751]: refused mount request from 10.0.0.2 for
> /videos (/): not exported
>
> It seems the server is set up reasonably correctly, because I can attach
> to, map a drive to, etc. the exports through windows file manager. I also
> set the permissions for the folder on both the client and server to match
> (775). Additionally localhost is defined in the hosts file for both the
> client and server.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric