Paul L. Snyder on 22 Mar 2010 18:39:22 -0700

[PLUG] [plug-announce] Policy Discussion: plug-announce list

We've had several inquiries recently from folks who would like
announcements of particular non-PLUG-official but FOSS-related events sent
to the plug-announce mailing list.

Until this point, we've only sent announcements of official events
to -announce.   Generally, plug-announce is subscribed
to by those who don't want their mailboxes clogged by all the discussion
traffic (and possibly those receiving digests who want the announcements
pulled out).  Of course, all traffic sent to -announce is forwarded to
the main list, so if you only subscribe to plug@lists.phillylinux.org
you may not even have noticed the distinction.

So, what do you think?  Should we keep plug-announce limited to our own
events (keeping such announcements on the discussion list, as they have
been up until now), or should the list administrators forward occasional
announcements about FOSS-related events as they come up?  If so, should
we limit the number of such announcements in a particular period of
time?

My personal opinion is that the more people who know about such events,
the better, and that sharing information about (obviously relevant)
events is another step towards building a stronger FOSS community in
Philadelphia.

Thoughts?

Paul