Eric on 23 Mar 2010 07:03:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu: Dist-upgrade failed

Chad Waters wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Eric <X> wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm getting very irritated running Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid - (If
>> you're thinking: "The rendering in %*!(^$|&# Firefox 3.0.x is BROKEN?"
>> then we're on the same track.)
>>
>> I want to do a dist upgrade to 9.04  When I run the slick little GUI
>> upgrade piece it tells me that there is an uncorrectable error. Looking
>> at the dist-upgrade/20100323-0812/apt.log file I get this ominous line
>> at the end:
>>
>> ERROR:root:Dist-upgrade failed: 'E:Unable to correct problems, you have
>> held broken packages.'
>>
>> This is, of course, preceded by a lot of "Investingating..." and
>> "Considering..." and "Removing..." messages.  ALL of them relate to
>> OpenOffice.  Does this mean if I remove OpenOffice entirely then I'm
>> likely to have the dist upgrade work?  Because I can do that!
>>

> How exactly did you try to upgrade?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades
>
> Are you going to 9.10 afterwards?
>
> CW

I ran the Ubuntu Update Manager from the little icon that tells me there
are updates.  It's the #1 screen shot in the Ubuntu JauntyUpgrades
document you reference

Clicking on that button takes me through the dialog that ends up with
the error message.
see: http://www.lucii.org/images/Dist-upgrade_error.png
The details are in the apt.log file, here:  http://www.lucii.org/apt.log

I might go on to 9.10... I'm not sure yet.  We're close enough to 10.04
that I might just run a few months on 9.04 and then do two upgrades in a
row.

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas