Mike Leone on 26 Mar 2010 19:19:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] using OpenLDAP with Active Directory

Ben Love had this to say:

>>> <test winbind/nss/AD integration with getent>
>>> $ getent passwd
>>> <SNIP: lots of output, including AD users>
>>> $ getend group
>>> <SNIP: lots of output, including AD groups>
>> I don't see the AD users  ... but I *do* see AD groups ...

I was wrong; I am *not* seeing AD groups. Or not all of them ... I get
all the Linux groups, then I get ...

BUILTIN\administrators:x:10001:servicerunner,leonem,turgon,administrator,WORKHORSE\root
BUILTIN\users:x:10002:

Those users are AD users, but I don't see the AD groups (Domain Admins, etc)

> This stuff is key.  If getent passwd isn't working, pam most certainly
> won't be able to find the users.  This is your problem for sure.

I think you're right. Just don't know why (yet).

> I'm fairly certain that winbind will do all the user/group lookups you need,
> so no need for ldap in "compat winbind ldap" list.  Indeed, I would
> remove any nss-ldap packages you have installed entirely.  We never
> use/need them.

Hrm .. I can try that ...

> So, your problem is with winbind (or potentially samba/winbind
> interaction).  I think your next goal is to understand exactly what the
> idmap options in smb.conf do.  In general, they map AD users to linux
> uids.  Once you know your options are set right, make sure you restart
> samba and winbind both (possibly several times each!)

"wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" do properly return all AD users and groups ..

I will dig into the "idmap" option ...

> Sometimes winbind "messes up".  I don't know how to describe it better
> than that.  When it does, we have to remove the idmap cache files,
> restart samba and winbind, and then it /should/ work.  The cache files
> are in /var/lib/samba/{group_mapping,winbindd_idmap}.tdb.  I'm not sure
> what secrets.tdb does, so don't remove that one.
>
> You'll know it's working when getent passwd and getent group are both
> returning AD entries.

I'll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for the help.