Mike Leone on 27 Mar 2010 19:02:38 -0700

[PLUG] Ongoing saga with Samba and AD

So I decided there was nothing on my Samba server I really needed. :-)
All of the files it was sharing out are on a separate internal drive. So
I saved my smb.conf, and wiped it clean, and installed Ubuntu 9.10.

Anyway, I have made great strides - I joined the server to AD, and I can
see all the domain users and groups when I do a "getent passwd" and
"getent group". And no need for LDAP at all. The trick? I removed "idmap
backend = ad" and went with the default (which is "idmap backend =
tdb"). So *not* specifying a backend allowed it all to work.

So, onto the problem (you knew there had to be one, right?). I have my
smb.conf set up so that I need to logon domain members as
"DACRIB+logonname". And when I go to do that, this happens:

I tried to log on as "DACRIB+administrator" at the physical console. I
was prompted twice for my password (dunno if that's because my password
has a "!" in it or not). Then it starts to login. I see the motd. I see
it say that it was trying to create a home directory for administrator
in "/home/DACRIB/administrator" - which is exactly what it should do.

Then I am immediately logged out, and returned to a new login prompt. No
other messages on the console, nothing.

auth.log says:

Mar 27 21:04:15 workhorse login[4213]: pam_unix(login:auth):
authentication failure; logname=turgon uid=0 euid=0

     tty=/dev/tty1 ruser= rhost=  user=DACRIB+administrator
Mar 27 21:04:15 workhorse login[4213]: pam_winbind(login:auth): getting
password (0x00000180)
Mar 27 21:04:21 workhorse login[4213]: pam_winbind(login:auth): user
'DACRIB+administrator' granted access
Mar 27 21:04:21 workhorse login[4213]: pam_unix(login:session): session
opened for user DACRIB+administrator by
                                                     turgon(uid=0)
Mar 27 21:04:21 workhorse login[4213]: pam_unix(login:session): session
closed for user DACRIB+administrator

Nothing in syslog or messages.

The home directory was created, as it should:

ls -la /home/DACRIB/
drwx------ 2 DACRIB+administrator DACRIB+domain users 4096 2010-03-27
21:04 administrator

root@workhorse:/home/DACRIB# ls -la /home/DACRIB/administrator/
total 24
drwx------ 2 DACRIB+administrator DACRIB+domain users 4096 2010-03-27
21:04 .
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root                 root                4096 2010-03-27
21:04 ..
-rw------- 1 DACRIB+administrator DACRIB+domain users  220 2010-03-27
21:04 .bash_logout
-rw------- 1 DACRIB+administrator DACRIB+domain users 3180 2010-03-27
21:04 .bashrc
-rw------- 1 DACRIB+administrator DACRIB+domain users  167 2010-03-27
21:04 examples.desktop
-rw------- 1 DACRIB+administrator DACRIB+domain users  675 2010-03-27
21:04 .profile

So I am confused as to why the domain accounts are immediately logged
out. NOTE: local users log in just fine.

Where to go next?