Gordon Dexter on 31 Mar 2010 06:02:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] dying hd?

jeff wrote:
I seem to remember hearing about people using this:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I believe Photorec is a subset of testdisk.

Thanks.

If you have the dd image foremost will carve out the important files.  It just goes through the whole disk looking for magic numbers that indicate the start of files, and for most filetypes it works great.  If you're looking for unusual kinds of files you may need to configure it to recognize them.  I've used it for forensics and for data recovery before.

--Gordon