Randall A Sindlinger on 5 Apr 2010 09:42:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell n-series

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:28:34AM -0700, Julien Mills wrote:

> I don't want
> to get it and the find there's one component I can't get
> to work.  I usually have good luck with Dells but every
> once in a while there's trouble.

We've ordered Optiplex 740's for the last 2 years, and also
a batch of 760's last year.  I looked at the 780's for this
year, but found the Precision T1500 to have better specs
for a trivially lower price (at least on their Educational
listings).

The only problem we've had is that the Optiplex 740's from
2 years ago couldn't boot a SuSE 11.1 install DVD - it had
to do with SuSE not having the right things enabled by
default in one of its kernel modules to be able to talk to
that specific generation of drives.

It did take quite a bit of troubleshooting, but once we
had it figured out, we were able to get it to work.  I
think I fault SuSE more than Dell for that one.

-Randall