bergman on 5 Apr 2010 10:22:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell n-series

In the message dated: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 12:42:42 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Randall A Sindlinger on
<Re: [PLUG] Dell n-series> were:
=> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:28:34AM -0700, Julien Mills wrote:
=> > =
=>
=> > I don't want
=> > to get it and the find there's one component I can't get
=> > to work.=A0 I usually have good luck with Dells but every
=> > once in a while there's trouble.
=> > =
=>

We've gotten some 740s and 755s, and they've been fine with Linux...and the
price difference is noticible.

One thing to be aware of--not Dell specific--is that the common Nivida "RAID"
implementation does not work under Linux...the drives are accessible
separately, or can be configured for RAID under the MD driver.

This is actually more of a problem with machines delivered with Windows,
particularly if you later want to dual-boot, in that Linux will not use the
Nvidia "RAID", and the physical drives will not be synchronized.

	[SNIP!]

=> The only problem we've had is that the Optiplex 740's from
=> 2 years ago couldn't boot a SuSE 11.1 install DVD - it had
=> to do with SuSE not having the right things enabled by =
=>

That sounds familiar. If it's what I think it is...this is not a Dell-specific
issue. We saw the same thing with CentOS and Ubuntu, if my guess about the
problem and my memory are correct.

=> default in one of its kernel modules to be able to talk to
=> that specific generation of drives.

AHCI, right?

I think that was an issue when SATA drives were becoming widespread...the
choices were to set the BIOS to use the drive in AHCI "compatability" mode, or
use particular kernel options...this shouldn't be an issue with a modern (2008+
kernel and distribution).

Mark

=>
=> It did take quite a bit of troubleshooting, but once we
=> had it figured out, we were able to get it to work.  I =
=>
=> think I fault SuSE more than Dell for that one.
=>
=> -Randall
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org
=>