Troy Sorzano on 11 Apr 2010 05:34:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Review: Thecus N8800+ iSCSI NAS (Linux)

Lee Marzke wrote on Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:58 PM

>I'm in the process of replacing a Linksys ReadyNAS NV+ with the
>Thecus N8800 2U rackmount NAS.    In addition to being more expandable
>the Thecus supports iSCSI for my ESX Vsphere environment.  It also
>runs on Linux on an Intel Celeron M CPU,  and it is quite easy to get
>root access.

>I've posted a review of the N8800+ and description of using rsync
>and ESX  below:
>
>http://plug.4aero.com/Members/lmarzke/thecus/

Lee,

Thanks for the review.  I am looking for a low cost ESXi compatible NAS/SAN for our production but non-critical apps. A true SAN is out of the question and budget.  Right now I am using local storage on the ESXi server.  For backups I am manually stopping the VMs and copying the files to a windows server share.  This is not optimal or fun. If I use a Thecus N8800 could I improve my ESXi backup process?  I understand the idea of "storage" but have never implemented iSCSI.  Are you using rsync to backup your ESX VMs?  If so, can it be done while the VMs are running?

Thanks for any info.

Troy Sorzano