JP Vossen on 14 Apr 2010 14:11:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] New Lucid theme too "bright"

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:13:30 -0400
> From: Chad Waters <chad@chadwaters.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] New Lucid theme too "bright"
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:15 AM, JP Vossen <x wrote:
>> I haven't gotten around to looking for the "bird" background. If anyone
>> knows where that stuff is stored, so I can just copy the old one, let me
>> know.
>
> The Hardy Heron background?
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-wallpapers/0.25
> The file is named warty-final-ubuntu.png

Interesting.  Lucid has a /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png
file, only...  It's not the SAME file and it's not even a PNG, it's a JPEG.

jp@ubuntu1004:~$ file /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png
/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png: JPEG image data, JFIF
standard 1.02

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-wallpapers/+bug/296538
	warty-final-ubuntu.png is actually a jpeg

Grabbing the "good one" you pointed out and just copying it into
/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu-real.png did not cause it to
show up in the dialog box.  :-(  Overwriting the wrong&broken
warty-final-ubuntu.png file did work though.  Tell me again why gconf is
supposed to be a Good Idea?!?

 > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:57:27 -0400
 > From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
 >
 > Not only are you a weenie

That's "an old fart weenie" to you.  And it takes one to know one.  :-)
  I was sure you'd have comments on this thread...  :-)

 > but if you had tried Xubuntu, you'd see the
 > same old dark blue.  In fact, I'm hard-pressed to see any difference
 > at all (that's not whining; it's observation).

I'll have to try it again.  Last time I used Xubuntu it was way too
buggy.  Is it less of a red-headed step-child to Gnome-Ubuntu these days?

KDE just has too much bling, and I don't want to spend the time messing
with it.  Gnome is boring, and can be a PITA (witness above), but it
usually more-or-less works.  I like Thunar (Xfce file manager) much
better than Nautilus though.  For one thing it's a gazillion times faster.

Thanks,
JP