jeff on 14 Apr 2010 16:58:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] New Lucid theme too "bright"

JP Vossen wrote:

>  > Not only are you a weenie
>
> That's "an old fart weenie" to you.  And it takes one to know one.  :-)
>   I was sure you'd have comments on this thread...  :-)

sure as there's air...

> I'll have to try it again.  Last time I used Xubuntu it was way too
> buggy.  Is it less of a red-headed step-child to Gnome-Ubuntu these days?

Not sure I have the history to accurately answer this.  The only thing
you can't do is edit the menus without an advanced degree.  It just
kinda works, otherwise...

Try a live cd, vm, or install the desktop...

> KDE just has too much bling,

our pharte-dom compels me to agree.

> with it.  Gnome is boring, and can be a PITA

never trust a desktop that puts menus up top.
(actually the default w xfce too)

> usually more-or-less works.  I like Thunar (Xfce file manager) much
> better than Nautilus though.  For one thing it's a gazillion times faster.

Absolutely faster, although I don't really like it.  It's a little dumb
for my tastes.  I've been using Tuxcmd lately.  It could stand some
improvements but it's solid and fast.  I'm a sucker for two panes (among
other things).  I recall Nautilus tending to *eat* non-gnome systems.

You can't argue with the incredible lightness of xfce, though.
It will more than likely put some spring in your Mini's step.

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat