LeRoy on 18 Apr 2010 07:05:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] IDE drive preventing grub from loading

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Saturday 17 April 2010 21:28:04 LeRoy wrote:
>> Art Alexion wrote:
>>> I gave up on this problem a few months ago and decided to give it a
>>> try again today.
>>>
>>> I have a computer with a motherboard without IDE slots.  I had a very
>>> old PCI-IDE card that worked for a while, but it stopped.  I replaced
>>> it.  and ever since, my system won't boot with the IDE drives plugged
>>> in.  The PCI card's BIOS seems to recognize them OK, but I just get a
>>> blinking cursor after POST when they are plugged in.  If I unplug
>>> them, everything is fine.
>>>
>>> I am thinking the boot process is looking for grub there and can't find
>>> it.
>> Hi Art,
>>
>> Have you looked at the BIOS for the boot sequence?  A lot of PC BIOS see
>> an IDE Drive prior to SATA or SCSI drives.  Some BIOS enable you to
>> specify which type of drive to attempt to boot from.  For instance, I
>> have an old system with SCSI and IDE drives and the BIOS has an option
>> to boot from SCSI or IDE bus.
>>
>> For the most part I think that most BIOS chip sets default to IDE drives
>> as the first boot drive.
>

> I suspect the same thing, except... wouldn't the lack of a bootable partition
> on that drive make it go to the next drive on the boot list?  At least that's
> the way it is supposed to work.  I haven't rebooted since I got your
> suggestion or Aaron's, but I am going try them both.

Not necessarily.  When dealing with the BIOS there are numerous systems
that are designed that when an IDE drive is present the system will
attempt to boot from the IDE whether or not there is a bootable
partition on it.  There are some BIOS that automatically assume that you
are using M$ and in the BIOS setup there is a prompt for booting from
the 'C' Drive.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/